And I thought boys were bad...

All the dirt of boys, plus the attitude...

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Open Letter To The Rest Of The World (from an American citizen)

Dear Rest Of The World,

What do we look like to you?

Do we look as bad from over there as we do from where I sit?

Shootings, hate crimes and terrorism (both domestic and from elsewhere), families going bankrupt and homeless simply because someone got sick, pretty close to zero access to mental health care for a large portion of the country, Donald-freaking-Trump...

I can't see anything grand about the "good ol' U.S. of A"...can you?

Do we look like lazy, uncaring, self-centered slobs from where you are?

Is there any good that you can see?

Part of me wants you to lie to me and tell me you can see good in this country of mine so that I can sleep a little better at night.  I want you to tell me that "it's all going to be okay" so that when I tuck my daughters in I have something to tell them.  I want to hear something that will make me feel better, but I know that's part of the problem.  We lie to ourselves and try to forget.

So, please, tell me the truth.  What do you see?  Is it as bad as I think it is?

And do you see a path to make it better?  Because right now I'm in the middle of the forest and I can't see a way out.  All the paths seem to run in circles and leave me right where I started again.

Is there a solution to the day to day fear that many people feel?

Is there a way to stop all the violence?  To educate the hateful so that they are not afraid anymore and maybe, just maybe, teach them to love?

How do you get 323 million people to think about someone other than themselves for more than the 10 seconds it takes to post a "thoughts and prayers" status update?  To look up from their phones long enough to see another human being for the soul that they are?

What do we look like from over there?  And is it fixable?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?